Saturday, March 7, 2009

Jinxed??

Ever have one of those days? I just had one of those weeks! I bought that little nick knack last week saying I could handle any crisis.... and boy did I get hit hard on Monday! While doing laundry, making lunch and just having a normal day I got a teary confusing phone call from my mom saying her long time 'special' friend, John (yes, boyfriend~ it just sounds so high school talking about my mom's 'boyfriend') was in the hospital in a coma in his home state of California. He was just here around Christmas break and had told us all he had been diagnosed with lung cancer. Well apparently he had been having difficulty breathing Sunday and had called an ambulance to take him up to the hospital. So we knew he was there, my mom was making plans to get off work and go out to be with him and had been talking with him pretty regular on the phone those couple of days. She was called by the hospital saying John had gone into the coma and it didn't look very promising that he would last too much longer.

VERY long story made short, my mom--sister--and I flew out Monday afternoon and arrived in Sacramento that night at 10:00 and while waiting for baggage and getting a shuttle arranged to go to the hospital we were called on my cell phone saying John had just passed away.

With no family that John had contact with he has left his estate to my mom. Which is proving to be problematic with her living in UT and he in CA. So the following days were a whirlwind for us dealing with everything, packing a u-haul with all the personal belongings she wanted back here and getting all of his affairs dealt with. My wonderful husband and children were left back home dealing with their daily lives and did a great job of it! We drove home Friday taking a very long 14 hours but now I'm home and amazed I've been gone for 5 days dealing with such traumatic life situations. It flew by, yet while in CA I felt as if I'd been gone for months.

John was a wonderful man, who has been in my life since I was 14 years old. He's been there for my mom for almost 20 years as a boyfriend but they had known each other since they were kids. He was there for my proms, getting my drivers license, graduation, wedding, pregnancies and everything in-between. I love him dearly, and will miss him always.

4 comments:

aminut said...

Kimmy, Kimmy, Kimmy,
I am always here for you---YOU BETTER KNOW THAT! I'm so glad for your emails & phone calls---making me feel that you were all ok though it was very hard. You are a strong woman and CAN deal w/ anything. Didn't that police officer remind you of that? Does he know who you are? A mom of 3? Any ways time does heal and you've got me babe!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Kim.. I wish there was more that I could say but the memories will always keep him alive. I hope you get some rest this week.. Big Hug!!

Tiffany said...

Kim, How sorry I am for you and your mom. That is a lot to handle! I am sure your mom was glad to have you with her!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Kim I am so sorry! It sounds like he was an amazing man.