Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mountain Lions, Coyotes and Bears OH MY!!!!


We finally made it home! Clint's big elk hunt started last Saturday and the boys and I got to tag along for a week of camping. While out scouting on our first night there we saw fresh mountain lion tracks!! So naturally I was a little freaked out. Then at night in camp the coyotes were howling up a storm all around us, and to make matters worse Clint told me about the BIG MAMA BEAR he saw while eating a sandwich on the mountain side!! Just walking along with her baby cub..... Clint calmly put his gear back on and got the heck out of there!

Yeah, I think I'm one heck of a woman... putting up with this kind of stuff... all for a chance at some meat to fill the freezer?? It's a good thing he got his elk, and we don't have to go back to Vernal for a VERY long time!
We did have a good time. One day we went down to see the 'dinosaur sights' and saw bones, tracks, and Indian writing.
We went on a 3 mile hike to see some honest to goodness dinosaur tracks! That was pretty cool. This picture is of Colby with his hand in the dinosaur footprint.

Well I won't bore you with all the gory details... just the highlights :) A.J fell onto a cactus and had to have the pokey's removed from his bum.... he never went near another one again! I found a tick on my side!!!! I've never seen one before and I was totally grossed out, thank goodness it wasn't "in" my skin yet! AHHHHHH! I immediately inspected the boys to make sure they didn't have any!! Of course Clint wanted 'tick inspections' every hour, in private with me.... I told him to keep dreaming! Colby and Hunter fought, drove me a little nuts, but had a fantastic time. Clint shot his elk on Sunday but didn't track it down until Monday afternoon to deliver the "final shot". He was ecstatic! It was about a mile and a half hike from his 4-wheeler so he had to make 3 trips to get all the meat out! He was pretty beat and says he will NEVER hunt alone again! I'll have to see it to believe it.....
Hope I didn't gross you all out too badly, I don't want to offend by going too into detail..... but you can always call Clint up for the whole bloody story, he'll never tire of telling it!!

5 comments:

Jamie Dean said...

Kim, I think you are a real trooper to go up there for a week. I can't believe you had a tick on you. You are great mom too, to sit at a camp ground all day with 3 boys trying to entertain them.

aminut said...

Way to go Clint! I'm glad you brought Kim & the boys back in 1 piece and didn't let the bears get them. Good thing it cooled down before ya'll went down there or it may have cooked the meat on your back...yuck!

aminut said...

I forgot to ask where you found your tick and how did you get it? Behind the bushes? ha ha just kidding. That's so funny about Clint wanting to be checked too. Robert would be thinking the same thing. You played the perfect song to it too b/c I think of this song every time I think of ticks. When we lived in GA we were always checking for ticks (get your mind out of the gutter). It's crazy to have to remove them from the skin.
Again, very cute picks on both video thingys

Anonymous said...

I loved the post, all the stories except the one about the trips back for the deer meat. I can't handle the idea of dead animals and blood. I know we eat hamburger, chicken, pork - you know the essentials. But I can't handle eating deer. I've tried and I am not a fan at all. And the idea of a head being in my garage or living room is enough to make me dry heave. You my friend, are a trooper. Thanks for your comment on my last post. It means alot. And since Amanda's blog is private. Tell her I said thanks for hers too. Have a great week.

Smiley0709 said...

You guys always have the coolest adventures! And you are a TRUE woman to be able to handle all that blood and guts and camping :) It sounds so fun though.. I'm sure glad you all escapes the bears and coyotes.. Wow! Good job on the Elk Clint! looks like a pretty good "catch" :)