Thursday, February 4, 2010

Healthy chili!

My diet is getting a little chicken.... ha~ Needless to say, I've never ate so much chicken and I needed a change! I made this healthy version of chili with turkey burger and it's delish. Thought I'd share real quick with those of you that might be interested.


Here's what I did a little different than the 'bfl' recipe called for, but it made a ton and it's smelling great....


2 pounds turkey burger, put 1 chopped up red onion and chopped up frozen spinach in when burger was all cooked and let it cook together a couple of minutes. (spinach I used my pampered chef chopper and did 2 fillings of spinach) While cooking I seasoned with pepper, cumin, chili pepper, salt to taste.


In my biggest crock pot I put one can each: black beans, garbanzo beans, northern beans and a santa fe mixed beans. I just used the beans I had in the cupboard and drained them real quick of the syrups before dumping into crock pot. Not completely drained. I also got a huge (gigantic) can of diced tomatoes from Sams and put half in the pot. Any more and I would have been overfilling it! I froze the other half, the can was only $2 from Sams!


Now I'm letting it cook til dinner time, about 3 hours on low and I will taste it again to see if it needs more spices! It's making my mouth water smelling it.....! If only I could have bread with it....~sigh~ I'm hoping my picky eaters will at least try it, if not they can make themselves a sandwich I guess.


4 comments:

Bonnie the Boss said...

So I am not sure about the new BFL no bread deal. I am not sure if I can do that.
the chili looks really good!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks awesome.. They had some kind of a chilli like that on the Biggest Loser this week also. Congrats to you for sticking with it.. :)

Kim said...

Your allowed bread, it's just a carb... only one carb -one protein a meal.... I'm not wasting it on bread :) now for lunch I do these new wheat bread thins or a wheat tortilla with my protein. Don't get me going on all my meals!

Anyway, the dish was great! Tasted more like a goulash (how do you spell that?) but with beans instead of noodles. Yum!

aminut said...

You are so great for doing great all around. I really am so proud of us! I hope your fam enjoyed it. And honestly I think at first the fam can deny our healthier side but after a while it'll be a part of their life too. So kudos to not only taking care of yourself but your fam too! love ya