Monday, May 4, 2009

First Camping Trip Of The Year!
May 1st was the opening of shed antler hunting in Wyoming so my lovely husband came up with the brilliant idea to turn it into a camping trip with his family. I'm so glad he was willing to include us, and so were the boys, even if it was more stressful and more expensive for Clint for us all to join in. What a great Dad and husband he is and I feel very blessed that he's ours! Also, he let me invite my very best longtime childhood friend Amanda and her family (after swearing them to secrecy on the where-abouts of all the sweet horns). We were lucky enough that HER husband is also a great Dad and husband and took off a few days of work so they could join us! It's been a good 20 years or so since Amanda and I camped together, she used to go with my family alot back in the day. It was the best weekend ever and I will now bore you all with some photos......
I've never found any antlers, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! So when I found my first one (after hiking around for 2 hours it was found not too far from the truck, go figure) I was pretty excited.
Don't tell anyone, but this is the same antler..... A.J just wanted to take a picture too. Clint was no where to be found, off looking for antlers!
This is pretty much how you might find it, I'm reenacting it for all you 'non-shed hunters' out there.... Alot of the time I would just walk around thinking what the heck am I doing out here and then in the next instance I would wonder how many antlers were probably right next to me and I was looking off the other side....pure craziness!
Hunter is definitely following in his Dads footprints! He was on fire for picking up antlers and Clint was starting to pout. Way to go son, I was so proud of him this weekend and realized how grown up he has gotten lately.
Back at camp, A.J riding his 'motorcycle'.
Clint, checking out mine and Hunters antlers....pouting because they were better than any he had picked up! So of course after resting and eating he had to go out again.
Amanda and her family came up a day later than us so here they are testing out the 4 wheeler. Really just sitting on it and circling around the trailers since we didn't have helmets small enough for the boys.
Isn't that the most precious picture ever! A.J giving Ben a ride.
Colby and Alex found this ditch not far from camp and were in little boy heaven! They seriously came back for food and drinks, wanting to set up their own camp over there.... When we got stuck in the trailers from rain they were just dying to get back out to their ditch!
A.J and Ben enjoying the fire.
Our first days haul....me, Hunter, Robert and Clint all picked up something that first day. Well if you want to call Robert almost stepping on one a pick up..... :)
Hunter stirring up the fire....doesn't it just make you want a marshmallow?
The boys went on countless 'pretend' 4 wheeler rides. Here's Ben wanting to get picked up?
All in all for an antler hunting trip I think it was pretty successful! We brought home 20 something antlers but of course Clint thinks he should have found more.....don't even get me started on that! Thanks to the Hardens for joining us, it was a blast and I hope you are able to come with us more often this summer. Thanks to Clint for including us, Love you babe! Can't wait for summer so we can go on more camping trips with the family. It was great to get out of the house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First - The pictures are priceless! Second - What in the hell do you do with antlers from anything you didn't shoot! It's like telling fish stories. So you have 20 something antlers in the garage.. What for? I don't get it! Educate me! It's like buying a necklace that's made out of elephant tusk - it makes you feel bad! Ok maybe I'm soft but seriously.. The camping is always fun but the antler hunt is like hunting for snypes.. or is it snipes! Not Wesley Snipes the tax evader.. Ugh! You get what I mean.. You know I love you - right?

Kim said...

This is Kim's husband Clint. What we do with our Antlers is my business. So any time you need to get "educated" come on over and see my stacks of antlers. I might even let you touch one. Then we can go snipe hunting.

aminut said...

Ha ha Clints antlers are precious...whatch you takin bout Willis? Heidi I don't understand the antler thing either but I can tell you that as we were walking & riding I too was finding my self glancing my path for antlers??? Yes Yes Robert said the same thing- Like searching for needle in a hay stack. Well I'll go along for the antler but I'm there when it comes to camping. I had fun. And it's so much better in our motorhome vs. tent. Ahhhh....flamin marshmellows....mmmmm!